Tag Archives: politics
Hello Friday. And hello March. While you’ve been disappointingly snowy so far, I’m still holding out hope that the rest of the month will finally bring us the long awaited spring weather this city is in desperate need of. Even more exciting – DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME returns on Sunday. I know this kinda sucks because we lose an hour of sleep, BUT it means we get daylight and sunshine and evenings back. It means the good times are truly almost here. There’s nothing more depressing to me than it getting dark at 5pm, since, when given the option, I don’t wake up before noon. #nightowllife.
Anyhow, do you have any fun plans for the weekend? My weekly column over at dose has a few suggestions for those of you in Toronto. Personally, I’m heading to the ballet for the first time ever for the opening night of Swan Lake. Very excited! I’ve been to the Opera and the Symphony a few times, so this is my last step in fully embracing grown up art. And the movie Black Swan will finally make perfect sense to me.
Also – FYI, I have a couple vinyl giveaways coming up for both Broken Bells and my favourite, Bruce Springsteen! Stay tuned.
Now, for the link love:
- Olivia Chow all set to enter Toronto mayoral race YESSSS. YESSSSS!!@!@@! I was actually starting to get a little worried that she might not run because she’s waited so long (and she still hasn’t made it official by any means), but as they detail in the article, it’s a smart strategy. I love her almost as much as I love my own mother. Part of the reason Jack was so incredible was because she was by his side. Living in her ward is truly a privilege, and I am more than willing to volunteer for her campaign. There is NO ONE ELSE in this world I’d rather have running Toronto, and she is by far the person most capable of repairing all the damage Ford has done.
- Which ’90s Indie Band Are You? I got Sonic Youth, which is cool with me.
- Big Star’s Alex Chilton Wrote the Script for Every Indie-Rock Recluse He sure did. That’s why The Replacements wrote a song about him.
- The Hipster Music Index Heh. Arcade Fire was definitely thrown off the ‘hip’ bandwagon after winning a Grammy, no one can contest that.
- 10 Great Cover Songs from the Paste Vault I love a good cover.
- The Secret to Creativity: Being Able to Make Connections This concept makes perfect sense. It’s why Evernote is my saviour.
- 10 Ways To Share Your Creativity & Get Discovered A really great read if you ever feel awkward about self promoting/pimping your work. Useful tips.
- How to Make It as a Freelance Entrepreneur Very very good advice for you freelancers.
- 16 Things Every Leader Should Know
- YouTube’s Parity Problem, or Why a Billion Isn’t That Impressive So it goes. This is the new music industry.
- The 11 Smartest Girls In Comedy This list is true greatness. Get to know and love every single one of them. Speaking of funny ladies – Lena Dunham is hosting SNL this weekend! My PVR is set.
- Passenger’s sexist note left on WestJet flight stirs pilot’s heated response And while I just got you pumped up with that awesome ‘yes. women are funny’ article – here is something to help you know there are still sad little men like this in the world that need to be castrated.
- Travoltify Your Name! Hahahhah. Travolta’s butchering of Idina Menzel’s name at the Oscars has now spawned its own widget. For the record, my Travoltified name is Leona Leeee. Not bad actually. I might use it as a pen name one day.
- Finally, if you were one of those kids who, like me, always wanted a hoverboard – your dream is (not) coming true. But this is a very smart (if misleading) viral marketing campaign:
All right, so – as the Putin link below explains – I’ve been trying not to give too much attention to the Olympics this year because I’m incredibly disgusted with the politics of Russia, and I think it’s a travesty that the IOC allowed such a brutal place to host these games. But, with that said, even I can’t deny my Canadian pride after that incredible nail biter of a game the Canadian women’s hockey team won yesterday. I only tuned in for the last 5 minutes of overtime, but damn – it was worth it. That has to be one of the greatest comebacks in hockey history.
There is a point where you have to separate the athletes from the politics, and acknowledge that it’s not fair to rob them of their one moment after 4 years of hard work because of the IOC’s massive mistake.
With that said, here are this week’s links:
- Q&A: Broken Social Scene Frontman Kevin Drew On His New Solo Album Definitely worth a read.
- IKEA’s Expedit line is biting the dust, and vinyl nuts aren’t happy about it This is sad, but I won’t complain until I see what the new replacements actually look like in real life. They just might be prettier.
- 5 Ways to Get Up to Speed on Anything, Fast Good advice.
- ARCHISET: An Illustrated Tribute to the Interiors of Classic Cinema If you dig film as much as I do, you’ll love this.
- CONTACT Turns Any Table Into A Musical Instrument This is pretty cool.
- Massive Attack’s ‘Teardrop’ performed with eggplant, grapes, and MaKey MaKey As is this. I love it when artists get creative with their instruments.
- 7 Habits of Incredibly Happy People The point about spending money on experiences rather than things is something I’ve found to be incredibly true. The more I’m out experiencing life and new things/people/places, the happier I am.
- Victim gets revenge on rapist by setting him on fire This has to be the best response to victim blaming and that horrific thing coined as ‘rape culture’ that I’ve ever seen.
- Putin Plays the World for Suckers, and Wins UGH. This guy is one twisted dictator. We think RoFo is bad, but at least he’s no Putin.
- Finally, watch Pussy Riot’s video for “Putin Will Teach You How To Love” aka the thing they were making when they were publicly WHIPPED by a bunch of Putin’s men for making music in the street. If you’ve ever wanted to see women whipped by men in a very non consensual, horrific way – check it out below. This is the country that is currently hosting the world. Shameful. Why didn’t the IOC let Iraq host the games in 2004? Not much difference.
Hey! Okay, I know TGIF hasn’t seen the light of day in a very long time – I was spending all my time building someone else’s dream which meant ignoring mine – but the universe was like – no girl, stop that shit right now – forcing me to smarten up, so I am excited to say that, yes, we’re back!
That means this post is gigantic because even though I didn’t have time to blog it – I was still keeping up with the times. So here is many weeks worth of TGIF rolled into one epic post.
- Bob Dylan’s ‘Like a Rolling Stone’ Gets Star-Studded Interactive Video This has to be my favourite video from 2013.
- Listen: The Velvet Underground’s unreleased song “I’m Not a Young Man Anymore” What a gift to hear this after Lou left us.
- Sleater-Kinney Reunite Onstage With Pearl Jam In Portland Um, how awesome was this? Super jealous of everyone who witnessed it.
- Toronto voted “most youthful city” in the world Not surprising, this is definitely a young person’s city. Very cool that we beat out every other awesome city in the world.
- 5 Small Toronto Venues with Big Reputations I have massive love for all 5 of these venues.
- The Americas: Uncool Canada Because I can’t only share happy news – here’s a dose of economic reality.
- The rise, fall and rise again of Rough Trade Records
- Stop Trying To be Happy Aka why do humans over-complicate things so much?
- 10 Rules for Brilliant Women “Filter advice. Most brilliant women are humble and open to guidance. We want to gather feedback and advice. Fine, but recognize that some people won’t understand what you are up to (often because you are saying something new and ahead of your time). Some people will find you to be not their cup of tea. Some will feel threatened. Some people will want to do with your idea only what is interesting or helpful to them. So interpret feedback carefully. Test advice and evaluate the results, rather than following it wholesale.” I’ve recently come to understand this truth in a big way.
- Deformed Freak Born Without Penis Oh the Onion, I can always count on you to make me laugh.
- 5 Steps To Getting Rid Of Stress And Anxiety Very solid advice.
- Why Women Aren’t Welcome on the Internet This article is so scary, yet not at all surprising. Read YouTube comments on almost any video and you’ll understand.
- Here’s Why You Should be Upset about Mindy Kaling’s Elle Cover, even if She Isn’t Love this. Love that she wasn’t upset by it – she’s living the dream and she loves herself and nothing like this could rob that from her – but for the rest of the world, we need to start seeing bodies of women that don’t have a personal trainer on the covers of magazines – not just their pretty faces. And this is why we all love Lena Dunham so much.
- ‘Too Much Estrogen’: The Golden Globes, Chris Christie and Men Who Don’t Want to Share Culture Continuing on the horribly sexist trend that seems to be in full bloom now that women are starting to rule TV, this article is a MUST read. If you only read one link this week, make it this.
- The History of Tina and Amy’s Best Friendship The best.
- Christine McVie to Rejoin Fleetwood Mac YES! Dreams, coming true. Did you guys see Stevie Nicks on American Horror Story the other week? Also awesome.
- Rock’s Silent Majority Rules Again: Bastille will play SNL and Everywhere Else They say indie rock is dead – and it’s certainly not the big thing anymore, but this article proves that yet again, no form of music ever really dies.
- Shut Your Dumb, Stupid Mouth about the Beatles Being Overrated But really. It has to be THEE most annoying thing ‘controversial’ people ever say.
- Ticketmaster, Your Awful Tickets Should Look Like This PLEASE. If only they would take notice. Such awful design should not have made it past the 90s.
- Materialism: a system that eats us from the inside out A great read on why we all really need to stop buying more stuff. Sometimes people come to my house for the first time and wonder why I don’t have 1000 records. In my opinion I have plenty – I own every album I truly love (any many I just kinda love/like). I’m always looking to get rid of anything I haven’t used in 6 months. I hate having too much stuff. Like the article says, it drags us down, depresses us, holds us in one place. We’ve all seen the destructive minds of the people on the show Hoarders. Even if I don’t get to travel as much as I want, I like the idea that if I wanted to just pick up and leave, I wouldn’t have 500000 things to sell/store. Living light is in my opinion the definition of freedom. I am not defined by my possessions, but by my achievements and experiences.
- I Know Who Can Start Rebuilding Toronto I couldn’t agree more. PLEASE RUN FOR MAYOR, OLIVIA CHOW! You are the one who could easily beat the fool.
- 20 Sneaky Rules About Being in a Band That No One Ever Told You Great advice from the lovely Sari Delmar!
- Genetics I kinda want to see what a split-screen of me and my dad/mom would look like so I could compare – very cool.
- The people STILL living in 1951: Inside America’s Rockabilly community Okay, this is a little bit overboard, but I’ve always dreamed that I would one day own a house with a rockabilly 1950′s style kitchen, so this community is kind of awesome.
- 8 Quotes That Prove Adam Is The Best Character On HBO’s Girls If you needed some concrete reasons as to why he is my dream man, read this. “You should never be anyone’s slave.” #bestline
- FaceSubstitute Is The Coolest (And Creepiest) Thing You’ll See This Week This is strange, but awesome.
- Finally, this new iPad commercial is another mark of truly great advertising. Using one of the best scenes from Dead Poet’s Society is a mark of sheer brilliance we’ve come to expect from their ads:
But seriously, this guy rules. Just another verification that Iceland is one of the best places on the planet. One day I will get there!
How is Toronto stuck with Rob Ford – the butt of every joke for comedians around the world – when other cool cities get someone this amazing? If by some dreadful twist of events, Robby wins another term, I might have to move to Reykjavik. Amazing music, scenic city, cool mayor. What more could you ask for? Sadly he is leaving office in the spring, but I have a feeling his replacement will be just as awesome.
This Rob Ford thing is so embarrassing I don’t even think there’s a need for me to comment on it. Luckily, that’s not the only thing going on in the world.
See what else is up below:
- Everyday Jet Lag - This is something I definitely struggle with each morning. Not everyone’s body clock is wired the same, it’s unfortunate that the world is defined by morning people.
- 62 Questions we Still Have For Rob Ford This article is a couple weeks old, meaning we have about 62 more to add to this list.
- The Little Label That Could Check out this great podcast on Indie 88 on Arts & Crafts
- The Top 10 Toronto Punk Bands of All Time do you agree on these choices?
- 32 Bachelor Hacks That Will Help Improve Everyone’s Lives These are actually kinda helpful.
- The 10 Most Annoying Concert Behaviours I may be semi-guilty of number 1, but I never do it for the whole show and I try to be mindful of it, because I rage at everything else on this list when I experience it at a show.
- The 13 Most Insidious, Pervasive Lies of the Modern Music Industry These are interesting…
- You Can Not Devalue Music I love this article, definitely worth the full read.
- The Owners Of Parts and Labour are Opening up a Burger Shop on Queen West - just what my hood needs, ANOTHER burger shop.
- Leadership Lessons from Fortune’s Most Powerful Women Summit 2013 Love this.
- Long & McQuade CEO on family owned business success
- How Selling Out Saved Indie Rock
- Bob Dylan “Like A Rolling Stone” – Official Interactive Video THIS IS SO COOL! Check it out now if you haven’t yet, but be sure you’re on a fast computer or it might freeze up.
- NMPA Targets Unlicensed Lyric Sites, Rap Genius Among 50 Sent Take-Down Notices We knew it would happen one day.
- QOTSA’s new interactive video Not as cool as Bob’s but still worth checking out.
- There’s a Bruce Springsteen Religion Class for College Kids Who Worship “The Boss” Where was this when I was still in school?! Amazing.
- Listen: Lorde covers Tears for Fears’ “Everybody Wants To Rule The World” Beautiful cover.
- Arcade Fire, Please Don’t Ask Me to Wear “Formal Attire” to Your Arena Show Yeah – this is dumb. Arcade Fire really needs to give up the gimmicks already, it’s getting tired. I miss when they were focused on making great music instead of marketing ploys.
- Switzerland’s Proposal to Pay People for Being Alive This is awesome.
- Rob Ford Denies “Eating Pussy” During Live, Televised Press Conference This might be the funniest thing in the entire Ford saga.
- The nine most outrageous things that Rob Ford has said in the past 24 hours
- Toronto city council votes to strip Ford of his powers HELL YES. Finally.
- How Feminism Hurts Men Another interesting read.
- 50 Pictures in Perfect Timing Check these out, awesome.
- Finally, watch this great Manchester punk rock documentary from 1977: