Tag Archives: Music
So the new tune The War On Drugs released this week is pretty fantastic. I love hearing a song that sounds like a summer anthem at the start of winter. Helps ease the pain of so many future months of feeling cold and tired and afraid of being outside.
“Red Eyes” sounds like road trips to various cities with your best friends, cider and sangria on patios, sunshine til 9pm, outdoor movie screenings in the park, aka all the best things in life I’m already dying for the return of.
Goddamn I hate winter.
Thank god for music that helps us forget.
This Rob Ford thing is so embarrassing I don’t even think there’s a need for me to comment on it. Luckily, that’s not the only thing going on in the world.
See what else is up below:
- Everyday Jet Lag - This is something I definitely struggle with each morning. Not everyone’s body clock is wired the same, it’s unfortunate that the world is defined by morning people.
- 62 Questions we Still Have For Rob Ford This article is a couple weeks old, meaning we have about 62 more to add to this list.
- The Little Label That Could Check out this great podcast on Indie 88 on Arts & Crafts
- The Top 10 Toronto Punk Bands of All Time do you agree on these choices?
- 32 Bachelor Hacks That Will Help Improve Everyone’s Lives These are actually kinda helpful.
- The 10 Most Annoying Concert Behaviours I may be semi-guilty of number 1, but I never do it for the whole show and I try to be mindful of it, because I rage at everything else on this list when I experience it at a show.
- The 13 Most Insidious, Pervasive Lies of the Modern Music Industry These are interesting…
- You Can Not Devalue Music I love this article, definitely worth the full read.
- The Owners Of Parts and Labour are Opening up a Burger Shop on Queen West - just what my hood needs, ANOTHER burger shop.
- Leadership Lessons from Fortune’s Most Powerful Women Summit 2013 Love this.
- Long & McQuade CEO on family owned business success
- How Selling Out Saved Indie Rock
- Bob Dylan “Like A Rolling Stone” – Official Interactive Video THIS IS SO COOL! Check it out now if you haven’t yet, but be sure you’re on a fast computer or it might freeze up.
- NMPA Targets Unlicensed Lyric Sites, Rap Genius Among 50 Sent Take-Down Notices We knew it would happen one day.
- QOTSA’s new interactive video Not as cool as Bob’s but still worth checking out.
- There’s a Bruce Springsteen Religion Class for College Kids Who Worship “The Boss” Where was this when I was still in school?! Amazing.
- Listen: Lorde covers Tears for Fears’ “Everybody Wants To Rule The World” Beautiful cover.
- Arcade Fire, Please Don’t Ask Me to Wear “Formal Attire” to Your Arena Show Yeah – this is dumb. Arcade Fire really needs to give up the gimmicks already, it’s getting tired. I miss when they were focused on making great music instead of marketing ploys.
- Switzerland’s Proposal to Pay People for Being Alive This is awesome.
- Rob Ford Denies “Eating Pussy” During Live, Televised Press Conference This might be the funniest thing in the entire Ford saga.
- The nine most outrageous things that Rob Ford has said in the past 24 hours
- Toronto city council votes to strip Ford of his powers HELL YES. Finally.
- How Feminism Hurts Men Another interesting read.
- 50 Pictures in Perfect Timing Check these out, awesome.
- Finally, watch this great Manchester punk rock documentary from 1977:
My favourite cover band of them all is playing their largest venue yet – The Phoenix – on Saturday, and I can’t wait to finally see them again!
This time they’re taking on classics from the beloved movie Wayne’s World, and calling the night, of course, Dwayne’s Dworld.
The band’s shows have become somewhat legendary at this point, and their Fleetwood Mac Rumours night may go down as one of my favourite shows of the year. Yes – I realize saying a cover band’s show was among my faves isn’t exactly hip for a blogger, but that’s how great I still think they are. Sometimes you want to see a show that will guarantee a night of amazing tunes you know and love played by talented musicians, so you can dance your ass off with your friends – and that is what they always provide.
In the spirit of giving, Young Lions has offered up a pair of tickets to giveaway to you guys so you can get in on what will likely be their last show of the year.
To win, just comment below with the name of your favourite DG covered song, using an email address (only where it asks for your email – not in the body) I can contact you at if you win.
Facebook fans get an extra entry by liking the status about this giveaway, as always!
You can also snag tickets now for $15 via Ticketfly, Soundscapes and Rotate This, should you prefer not to wait and risk missing out.
Courtesy of With A Bullet, I have 6 new records to giveaway to you guys on vinyl.
The selection includes the following:
Lissie – Back To Forever
St. Lucia – When The Night
Tom Odell – Long Way Down
Cults – Static
Kodaline – In A Perfect World
Protest The Hero – Volition
There are two steps to win. First, you must be a subscriber to my weekly newsletter:
Second – you must email me – firstname.lastname@example.org - using the same email address you used to subscribe with the name of the artist (or artists) whose album you want to win in the subject line. For example, if you want to enter for Cults and Lissie, the title of your email should say ‘Entry for Cults + Lissie.’ Be sure to include the names of every artist you want an entry for.
Of course, Facebook fans can also get a bonus entry by liking the Facebook status about this giveaway.
Contest closes on Wednesday November 6th – winners will be contacted by email.
There’s a lot of great music here. Listen to the single from Cults latest below, it’s excellent: