Tag Archives: links
Hey Friday! Hey friends! Are you ready for a month of non-stop festivaling? I sure am. I mean, I’m dreading the lack of sleep and already feeling insanely overwhelmed, but this is generally the best month of the year, so I’ll take the ups with the stress.
Tonight I’m headed to the Summerworks announcement party, then I’m headed to Field Trip where I get to see Broken Social Scene, aka, all is well in the world.
Also, there’s still time to enter to win tickets to see TV on the Radio and Ziggy Marley next week, see the previous post for more details!
Anyhow, here’s a bunch of interesting reads to get you through to the sunshine, music, and fun that’s about to be your weekend:
- Top 5 things to do in Toronto this week [June 2 - 8th] ! - If you need more tips on what to do this weekend, check out my column over on Dose.
- Discovery: The Curators So how do we discover new music now? Interesting take on it.
- 29 sent to hospital from Avicii concert in Toronto Yikes. This is why I don’t go to EDM shows.
- Toronto ranked 4th most attractive global city And they’re talking about general living conditions, not how physically attractive the population is (as so many BlogTO commenters seemed to misunderstand).
- A brief history of Sneaky Dee’s This is great. I will forever love Sneaks.
- 6 Ways to Save Your Life — and Your Company “Actually, most of her generation will be leaving your company in its present form over the next decade. Why Because they know that if they work in your environment, within 10 years, they’ll be overweight, pre-diabetic, worn down by repetitive tasks, with burned-out adrenals. They’ll function at declining rates, finding it troublingly difficult to break the habits they’ve formed in your office.” Ain’t that the sad truth of office life.
- The conversation on fat-shaming is bigger than Louis C.K. It certainly is, but I appreciate that he was at least trying to give it some attention.
- Independent labels hit out at YouTube’s “unnecessary and indefensible” negotiating tactics Definitely a must read for indie artists.
- Beastie Boys ‘Sabotage’ Video Turned Into Vintage Comic As a Tribute to Adam ‘MCA’ Yauch This is awesome. I want a copy, please!
- 16 Habits Of Highly Sensitive People If you are anything like me, you’ll relate to almost everything on this list. Being highly sensitive doesn’t just mean I’m emotional and like to listen to Elliott Smith and have a good cry on the reg, it also means I’m super sensitive to pain, touch, smells, noises, light. Nothing gives me a bad headache faster than smelling someone’s perfume/cologne. Accupuncture was never the painless experience many claim it to be. If a food has an odd or slimy texture I can’t eat it. I always get annoyed at people who feel the need to put ALL the lights on – I’m also generally a night person for similar reasons. But for all the perceived downfalls, it definitely has its benefits. I’d much rather be sensitive than insensitive.
- Not All Men: A Brief History of Every Dude’s Favorite Argument Love this. #yesallwomen
- Let’s call the Isla Vista killings what they were: misogynist extremism Damn right they were.
- Elliot Rodger’s California shooting spree: further proof that misogyny kills But we also need to be aware that he was very, very mentally ill his entire life and it mostly went untreated. You can’t just blame the PUA community, as gross as it is.
- The Pick-Up Artist Community’s Predictable, Horrible Response to a Mass Murder But it’s still worth examining since he spent time there.
- Toronto police seek two men in sex assault, confinement case There may have been an update on this by now, but if not, please examine the photos and be safe out there, ladies!
- Paid apps gone free: This $50 app that teaches you to play guitar is now free Get it while you can! This is one of those rare times where I actually wish I had an iPhone or iPad. I kinda hate iPhone only apps, but this is a very cool idea.
- It Is Impossible to Believe How Mindblowing These Amazing New Jobs Are Hahahhah! If you’ve looked for jobs at all in the last 5 years, these parody ads will ring very true. Especially the low/no pay part.
- Finally, as if I wasn’t already excited to see BSS reunite this weekend, Kevin Drew will also be playing solo at the festival, and his new video with Zach Galifianakis and Feist is both adorable and hilarious:
Hey peeps! Happy weekend! Hope your week was lovely. The periods of sunshine have been glorious, even if they are almost always followed by rain. I’ll take 60+ degrees and rainy over 12 degrees and frozen. It’s finally beginning to feel normal in the city again.
I’m gearing up for another busy summer as festival season begins in a few weeks! Heads up, I’ll be doing giveaways for the first two festivals – Hot Docs and Canadian Music Week – so stay tuned.
Now, for the links:
- Why ‘My Husband’s Stupid Record Collection’ matters I agree completely.
- Where You Stand at a Show and What It Says About You Where I stand says nothing more than “I’m 5’1 and I can’t see shit all if I don’t make a point to get to the front.”
- CNN Wrote The Worst Kurt Cobain Lede Ever Yeah, that’s a good example of how not to write about someone who is no longer with us.
- Olivia Chow: To fix transit, we need a relief line — and more If you need even more reasons to vote for Olivia, read this.
- The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame of the Future With Nirvana just being inducted this week, this is an interesting read.
- MDMA could be a cure for tinnitus The idea of a cure for this nightmare of a disease is HUGE news – even if it means doing MDMA.
- How to Talk to Designers If You’re Not a Designer If everyone who ever worked with a designer or a creative of any kind could just read and follow this advice – the world would be a better place. I’ve had to experience first hand just how awful some clueless fools treat designers. It’s a horrific thing to witness the arrogance of laymen who truly think they’re designers.
- How not to talk about rape culture, as demonstrated by Q with Jian Ghomeshi Yeah, maybe don’t give crazy people a national audience to air their psychotic misogynistic views – that’s a Fox News trademark – don’t steal it, Q.
- The Talk – A new sex ed for boys This is so great, if only it could be implemented everywhere.
- Dear parents, you are being lied to Seriously – vaccinate your kids. It’s a disservice to the entire population – particularly the kids with allergies to vaccines – if you choose not to.
- David Letterman Retiring From ‘Late Show’ After 22 Years This was big news to me! But then again, as soon as I heard it – it made perfect sense. He waited for Leno to be off the air – he no longer has a nemesis he enjoys stealing viewers from – I love that he waited until just after Leno was kicked out (again) to announce it. Dave will always remain the gold standard whom I compare all late night hosts to. His harsh sense of humour is sadly a rarity in the hosting department these days.
- Tina Fey and Amy Poehler Will Play Sisters in New Comedy The Nest My ladies are back together. I couldn’t ask for anything more (well, other than hoping it’s actually good!).
- 19 Hard Things You Need To Do To Be Successful Get to it.
- Skin Tight Jeans and Syncopation Music theory is pretty cool.
- Music Criticism Is Not “Lifestyle Reporting”: A Response I posted the original article in the last TGIF with some mixed feelings, and I definitely love this response and agree with him completely. Music is about emotions and how it makes you feel – not about technical terms.
- Bluesfest Lineup Announced Check it out! Might be worth the trip up north to Ottawa this summer.
- Here’s a (crap quality) video of Dave Grohl, Krist Novolselic, Courtney Love and Kurt’s mom and sisters accepting Nirvana’s induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The reaction to Courtney is of course interesting – but it’s nice that she’s squashing the beef (for now) with Dave. I especially love his mom saying “He’d be so proud – he’d say he wasn’t – but he would be.” Truth, right there:
- Gotta throw in more videos of the ceremony because it was a truly inspired choice to have some of the best females in music taking Kurt’s place onstage for the performances – St. Vincent, Lorde, Kim Gordon, Joan Jett? You know he would have loved this:
Happy Friday, and Happy Spring everyone!!!! Hope you are as excited as I am that it’s FINALLY HERE (even though we might be in for more snow this weekend… …… ugh).
As for fun weekend plans, I will be attending the Prism Prize Music Video Awards on Sunday, so I am saving most of my energy this weekend for that (especially if it snows, as I can’t be outside in that shit for much longer without going completely batshit insane). What fun are you getting into? I have some suggestions as per usual over at Dose! I also heard Foster The People (remember that song about uncool poor kids shooting up cool rich kids at school… ughhh) are playing the Horseshoe tonight, so if you’re into that kinda one hit wonder-y mainstream posing as indie band, it’s a chance to see one of those “big” bands in a tiny venue – but it’s sold out so good luck with that. You’re much better off seeing The Dirty Nil at Silver Dollar or The Big Sound at Adelaide Hall tonight.
Now, for the links:
- Tracks Of Our Tears: 50 Songs That Make Quietus Writers & Artists Cry Not sure I agree with many of these – if you’re gonna list an Elliott Smith song that makes you cry, choosing “A Distorted Reality Is A Necessity To Be Free” is such a weird choice. Like, really, the one song about his general disillusion with the political world (though he definitely never wrote a political song, that song is much more than that – which makes the write up even worse)? Not the one about wanting to die? Or you know, being ready to die? Or feeling like a fucking freak in every social situation? Or forgiving his mother for staying with his abusive stepfather, or the shame and anger that stem from getting blackout drunk, or loving the white lady aka heroin more than love, or you know, almost any other song he wrote? WEAK. Sorry, I did name the blog after one of his (not so sad) songs, so I still get very worked up when I read about him and it feels forced, like, “Oh that Elliott guy made sad songs right?” Googles his albums, randomly chooses a song, plucks it into the list. Fuck that. Have some respect.
- Iggy Pop, Patti Smith, New Order Storm Carnegie Hall for Tibet See the photo above and video at the end of this post for how fucking awesome this must have been. Jesus, what I would have done to have been there.
- 10 Essential Canadian Record Reissues Because we really do need to pay more attention to Canada’s rich music history.
- Music Criticism Has Degenerated Into Lifestyle Reporting Interesting article. Obviously, I combine music and lifestyle in a very overt way with this blog, so I am sitting on the other side of his argument, because I was never trained in music so I can’t write about it in these theoretical terms he longs for. I am definitely of the Lester Bangs school in that way, and I don’t see it as such a terrible thing. I agree with him that there is a lack of that kind of reporting, but it is because most people are not trained in technical terms, and if you have to use a dictionary to understand an album review you’re gonna give up on it fast. But I also agree with him that the musicians deserve to have their music reviewed rather than their failed relationships and publicity stunts.
- More Details Revealed in SXSW Tragedy Well this was just awful news.
- SXSW Crash Victim Treated to Private Concert in Her Hospital Room This is kinda cute, even if just a huge publicity stunt for the band (I know, I’m so jaded).
- Six deaths force Future Music Asia to cancel final day More awful music festival news.
- Why Your First Concert Is The Greatest Moment Of Your Adolescence My first concert was a Backstreet Boys concert at the Skydome when I was a tween, so I can’t say that was the greatest moment. BUT, my second concert was SARStock which probably was the greatest moment of my teen years.
- Neil Young on Pono Raising $1.6 Million in 24 Hrs on Kickstarter: ‘There Seems To Be a Market There’ Looks like he really was onto something.
- The complete guide to listening to music at work Love this. I actually have a very hard time writing while listening to any music with lyrics – unless I’m writing about that particular song – in which case it’s required.
- How mishearing song lyrics reveals our subconscious thoughts Makes sense, really.
- Chordify Automatically Extracts Chords from Your Favorite Songs Pretty cool app for musicians.
- How To Accomplish More By Doing Less This is great advice.
- The El Mocambo is up for sale at almost $4 million Booourns. Someone save this place before it’s turned into another condo. Toronto will always be an amazing place despite the constant gentrification, but haven’t we lost enough of our cultural landmarks?
- 20-something’s swap clothes with their grandparents This is my favourite photography project in a very long time. I wish I had a photo like this with my grandma, though she never would have agreed to such a shoot.
- What If Google Was a Guy Heh.
- Finally, as noted above, here is the video of Patti and Iggy covering my dearly departed Lou Reed! I can’t take it! So great:
Hello Friday. And hello March. While you’ve been disappointingly snowy so far, I’m still holding out hope that the rest of the month will finally bring us the long awaited spring weather this city is in desperate need of. Even more exciting – DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME returns on Sunday. I know this kinda sucks because we lose an hour of sleep, BUT it means we get daylight and sunshine and evenings back. It means the good times are truly almost here. There’s nothing more depressing to me than it getting dark at 5pm, since, when given the option, I don’t wake up before noon. #nightowllife.
Anyhow, do you have any fun plans for the weekend? My weekly column over at dose has a few suggestions for those of you in Toronto. Personally, I’m heading to the ballet for the first time ever for the opening night of Swan Lake. Very excited! I’ve been to the Opera and the Symphony a few times, so this is my last step in fully embracing grown up art. And the movie Black Swan will finally make perfect sense to me.
Also – FYI, I have a couple vinyl giveaways coming up for both Broken Bells and my favourite, Bruce Springsteen! Stay tuned.
Now, for the link love:
- Olivia Chow all set to enter Toronto mayoral race YESSSS. YESSSSS!!@!@@! I was actually starting to get a little worried that she might not run because she’s waited so long (and she still hasn’t made it official by any means), but as they detail in the article, it’s a smart strategy. I love her almost as much as I love my own mother. Part of the reason Jack was so incredible was because she was by his side. Living in her ward is truly a privilege, and I am more than willing to volunteer for her campaign. There is NO ONE ELSE in this world I’d rather have running Toronto, and she is by far the person most capable of repairing all the damage Ford has done.
- Which ’90s Indie Band Are You? I got Sonic Youth, which is cool with me.
- Big Star’s Alex Chilton Wrote the Script for Every Indie-Rock Recluse He sure did. That’s why The Replacements wrote a song about him.
- The Hipster Music Index Heh. Arcade Fire was definitely thrown off the ‘hip’ bandwagon after winning a Grammy, no one can contest that.
- 10 Great Cover Songs from the Paste Vault I love a good cover.
- The Secret to Creativity: Being Able to Make Connections This concept makes perfect sense. It’s why Evernote is my saviour.
- 10 Ways To Share Your Creativity & Get Discovered A really great read if you ever feel awkward about self promoting/pimping your work. Useful tips.
- How to Make It as a Freelance Entrepreneur Very very good advice for you freelancers.
- 16 Things Every Leader Should Know
- YouTube’s Parity Problem, or Why a Billion Isn’t That Impressive So it goes. This is the new music industry.
- The 11 Smartest Girls In Comedy This list is true greatness. Get to know and love every single one of them. Speaking of funny ladies – Lena Dunham is hosting SNL this weekend! My PVR is set.
- Passenger’s sexist note left on WestJet flight stirs pilot’s heated response And while I just got you pumped up with that awesome ‘yes. women are funny’ article – here is something to help you know there are still sad little men like this in the world that need to be castrated.
- Travoltify Your Name! Hahahhah. Travolta’s butchering of Idina Menzel’s name at the Oscars has now spawned its own widget. For the record, my Travoltified name is Leona Leeee. Not bad actually. I might use it as a pen name one day.
- Finally, if you were one of those kids who, like me, always wanted a hoverboard – your dream is (not) coming true. But this is a very smart (if misleading) viral marketing campaign:
Happy Friday, peeps! Guess what. It’s March tomorrow! I know it’s still freezing – but we are soooo close to bearable weather again. We’ve almost made it. That is reason enough to celebrate this weekend. I’m heading to grilled cheese fest today – putting aside the fact that dairy doesn’t agree with me – because being paid to eat gourmet grilled cheese and write about it is a dream I once had as a small child. Time to make it come true.
Hope your weekend will be filled with something just as fun!
- Canadians Freaking Out Over Winning Hockey Gold Is Just Fantastic Yes, yes it is.
- How Brains See Music as Language This is awesome.
- Tour Managers of Foo Fighters, Rolling Stones & Fleetwood Mac Swap Wild Tales From the Road You probably wanna read this.
- Kurt Cobain’s Hometown Celebrated His Birthday With A Terrible Statue Of Him Crying As seen in the horrific photo above, this is the worst idea ever.
- Watch Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks Mash Up Beck’s “Golden Age” & “Debra” With “Gold Soundz” Love it. Now I’m wishing I didn’t skip out on Malkmus when he was here last week!
- 40 Reasons To Move To Toronto I love this. And I could give you 100 more. Do it.
- The Rob Ford Pledge-O-Meter: Has Ford really done 90 per cent of what he said he’d do? If there was one reason NOT to move here – Robby would be it. BUT he’s (hopefully!!) only got until the year runs out before he’s finally done ruining our reputation.
- Should last call in Toronto be moved to 4am? The only thing that could make Toronto even better. I really think you should sign the petition. 2am has always been sad.
- How to Build a Unique and Profitable Brand
- Periodic Table of Storytelling This is my favourite link of the week. If you’re a movie/TV buff like me, you will appreciate this.
- 22 Adorable Before And After Pictures Of Animals Growing Up Awww.
- Seth Rogen Tweet-Shames Senators for Skipping His Speech Go Seth for shining some much needed light on an often overlooked and terrifying disease.
- Finally, this is hilarious. I never thought I’d see a Sex Pistol on Judge Judy. Happy he won: