Tag Archives: festival
Happy Canada Day, friends! In honour of this great holiday, I have a giveaway I’m particularly excited for.
I LOVE TURF! If you went last year you’ll know it’s exactly the kind of festival Toronto was missing out on for so long. It is how I spent my birthday last year, and I will be doing the same this year (what up America, I share your day of birth).
If you want to go, well, I can at least help you get into Saturday’s lineup, care of Sam Roberts very kind team.
Along with a pair of tickets to TURF Saturday, you will also get a copy of his new album Lo-Fantasy as well as a t-shirt.
To win, just subscribe to the upcoming weekly newsletter using the form below. Be sure to confirm your subscription by clicking the link in the email you will receive, or you will not actually be entered to win. If you are already a subscriber and want to enter, just comment below using the email address you used to subscribe so I can verify.
As usual, Facebook fans get a bonus entry by liking, commenting or sharing my Facebook status about this giveaway.
The winner will be contacted Friday morning, July 4th, via the email they used to subscribe.
Who else is excited for this weekend?! I have yet to see Violent Femmes, Drive By Truckers or Hey Rosetta! live, so I’m very pumped for this. It’s gonna rule.
Hey Friday! Hey friends! Are you ready for a month of non-stop festivaling? I sure am. I mean, I’m dreading the lack of sleep and already feeling insanely overwhelmed, but this is generally the best month of the year, so I’ll take the ups with the stress.
Tonight I’m headed to the Summerworks announcement party, then I’m headed to Field Trip where I get to see Broken Social Scene, aka, all is well in the world.
Also, there’s still time to enter to win tickets to see TV on the Radio and Ziggy Marley next week, see the previous post for more details!
Anyhow, here’s a bunch of interesting reads to get you through to the sunshine, music, and fun that’s about to be your weekend:
- Top 5 things to do in Toronto this week [June 2 - 8th] ! - If you need more tips on what to do this weekend, check out my column over on Dose.
- Discovery: The Curators So how do we discover new music now? Interesting take on it.
- 29 sent to hospital from Avicii concert in Toronto Yikes. This is why I don’t go to EDM shows.
- Toronto ranked 4th most attractive global city And they’re talking about general living conditions, not how physically attractive the population is (as so many BlogTO commenters seemed to misunderstand).
- A brief history of Sneaky Dee’s This is great. I will forever love Sneaks.
- 6 Ways to Save Your Life — and Your Company “Actually, most of her generation will be leaving your company in its present form over the next decade. Why Because they know that if they work in your environment, within 10 years, they’ll be overweight, pre-diabetic, worn down by repetitive tasks, with burned-out adrenals. They’ll function at declining rates, finding it troublingly difficult to break the habits they’ve formed in your office.” Ain’t that the sad truth of office life.
- The conversation on fat-shaming is bigger than Louis C.K. It certainly is, but I appreciate that he was at least trying to give it some attention.
- Independent labels hit out at YouTube’s “unnecessary and indefensible” negotiating tactics Definitely a must read for indie artists.
- Beastie Boys ‘Sabotage’ Video Turned Into Vintage Comic As a Tribute to Adam ‘MCA’ Yauch This is awesome. I want a copy, please!
- 16 Habits Of Highly Sensitive People If you are anything like me, you’ll relate to almost everything on this list. Being highly sensitive doesn’t just mean I’m emotional and like to listen to Elliott Smith and have a good cry on the reg, it also means I’m super sensitive to pain, touch, smells, noises, light. Nothing gives me a bad headache faster than smelling someone’s perfume/cologne. Accupuncture was never the painless experience many claim it to be. If a food has an odd or slimy texture I can’t eat it. I always get annoyed at people who feel the need to put ALL the lights on – I’m also generally a night person for similar reasons. But for all the perceived downfalls, it definitely has its benefits. I’d much rather be sensitive than insensitive.
- Not All Men: A Brief History of Every Dude’s Favorite Argument Love this. #yesallwomen
- Let’s call the Isla Vista killings what they were: misogynist extremism Damn right they were.
- Elliot Rodger’s California shooting spree: further proof that misogyny kills But we also need to be aware that he was very, very mentally ill his entire life and it mostly went untreated. You can’t just blame the PUA community, as gross as it is.
- The Pick-Up Artist Community’s Predictable, Horrible Response to a Mass Murder But it’s still worth examining since he spent time there.
- Toronto police seek two men in sex assault, confinement case There may have been an update on this by now, but if not, please examine the photos and be safe out there, ladies!
- Paid apps gone free: This $50 app that teaches you to play guitar is now free Get it while you can! This is one of those rare times where I actually wish I had an iPhone or iPad. I kinda hate iPhone only apps, but this is a very cool idea.
- It Is Impossible to Believe How Mindblowing These Amazing New Jobs Are Hahahhah! If you’ve looked for jobs at all in the last 5 years, these parody ads will ring very true. Especially the low/no pay part.
- Finally, as if I wasn’t already excited to see BSS reunite this weekend, Kevin Drew will also be playing solo at the festival, and his new video with Zach Galifianakis and Feist is both adorable and hilarious:
Well everyone, festival season is officially on in Toronto, and that means I have more fun stuff to give to you.
Luminato is starting on Friday night, and they have asked me to give you a chance to win a pair of tickets to see a few awesome bands: The Roots (playing Saturday June 7th, doors at 7pm), TV on the Radio (playing June 13th, doors at 7pm) or Ziggy Marley (playing June 14th, doors at 7pm). All three shows take place at the Festival Hub at David Pecault Square, and tickets are $35 each or grab all three for $90.
In order to win, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org with the name of the band(s) you would prefer to see as the subject of the email. There will be one winner for each show.
Please be sure you are available the night of the show you wish to see before you enter.
You have until 48 hours before each concert to enter. I will respond to the winners at least 24 hours before showtime with information on where to pick up your tickets.
As usual, you can get an extra entry by being a fan of TTRO on Facebook and liking/sharing or commenting on the Facebook post about this giveaway, and by tweeting the link to this post on Twitter!
That’s all there is to it!
Who are you excited to see at Luminato this year? The lineup is insanely good. Let me know in the comments.
Hey friends! While I am currently spending my entire week in cinemas covering Hot Docs I don’t have a lot of time to write, and that won’t be much better next week as Canadian Music Week returns! BUT I am making time to let you know that CMW has asked me to do a giveaway of 6 wristbands for 3 of you!
To win, just subscribe to my (soon to be released, for real this time, I promise!) weekly newsletter below. I will contact the winners via the email they used to subscribe, so ensure you hit the confirm link in the confirmation email you get after hitting that subscribe button – or you won’t be entered. If you have already subscribed, just leave a comment below using the email you subscribed with, letting me know you want to be entered.
As usual, Facebook fans can also get a bonus entry by liking, sharing or commenting on the Facebook post about this giveaway!
Contest is open until Monday at midnight, winners will be contacted via the email they used to subscribe on Tuesday.
Canadian Music Week has a lineup I am pumped for (umm, Television!!!!), hoping to get the chance to post my recommendations early next week. The film festival portion (which these wristbands will also get you into) this year is also excellent.
TGIF is coming to you on Saturday instead of Friday because some big news landed in my inbox Friday and I had to reconfigure the post to include it!
The first being the AMAZING announcement of the first wave of artists for Toronto Urban Roots Festival - aka how I spend my birthday every year. Neutral Milk Hotel at a festival is basically the best.thing.ever. I just saw them at Kool Haus a few weeks ago and, while it wasn’t quite as perfect as the first time I saw Jeff Mangum sing these songs in a church, it was still my musical crack. Them + summer music festival = two of my favourite things together.
PLUS, Violent Femmes! Andrew Bird! JENNY LEWIS! Sam Roberts. Steve Earle. Born Ruffians. Hollerado. Gogol Bordello. Local Natives. The Strumbellas. Devin Cuddy. And it’s only gonna get even better with the next announcement. I am pumped.
Oh also, I answered some Q’s for FS Local this week, read this to find out more about my favourite Toronto places.
Now, for the links:
- The Constantines – aka the favourite band of almost every Canadian male in the music industry around my age – have decided to reunite. I’m hoping I will finally understand their raving obsession by getting this chance to see them live!
- Macklemore’s useless apology: Grammys and the myth of meritocracy Love this.
- Pete Seeger, Legendary Folk Musician, Activist, Dies at 94 This was sad news but 94 is definitely a life well lived. And he left behind a world of amazing music, not just his own – but all the music from the musicians his work so profoundly influenced.
- Seven Questions for Bob Dylan A great article on my favourite man.
- See Jack White Unlock His Paramount Records ‘Cabinet-of-Wonder’ on ‘Charlie Rose’
- Daft Punk minus their robot gear Finally, we can confirm they are 40ish French white dudes.
- Why Women Should Hate the Patriarchy Instead of Each Other YES! The way women are still positioned against each other is so depressing, it’s inspiring to read an article like this. We need to stop allowing this competition against each other to continue. We shouldn’t be keeping each other down when we still have so much progress that needs to happen.
- An Open Letter from Dylan Farrow
- Choosing Comfort Over Truth: What It Means to Defend Woody Allen But seriously. Let’s not let someone’s fame cloud our judgement. Rape culture needs to end already.
- Finally, a Bachelor Contestant Exposes the Show’s Weird Sex Issues I watched this episode of this terrible show and was so disgusted by this guys incredible hypocrisy. How anyone can stand him is beyond me.
- What Career Should You Actually Have? Yes, I fell into the Buzzfeed quiz trap. For me they were actually fairly accurate, though. This test said I should be a writer – shocking!
- Which ’90s Alt-Rock Grrrl Are You? Alanis Morissette was my answer. Well I am a brunette Canadian.
- Which ’90s Alt-Rock Dude Are You? Beck. Well I’m no Scientologist but I’m still happy to get Beck.
- 20 Signs You Really, Really Hate People I don’t really hate people, but I definitely relate to many of these, and you probably will too.
- 8 Record Stores Every Music Lover Needs To Visit At Least Once One day I will take a globetrotting vacation and visit all of these! Surprised Rotate This! is the Toronto store that made the cut though… we have better.
- Elliott Smith Albums From Worst To Best I love seeing his name pop up in articles – don’t agree with this list because Roman Candle should always be #1 but really they’re all incredible, so there is no wrong answer.
- 10 Ways Companies Drive Away Talent A must read. There is a lot of truth to all of these, sadly. “A culture that rewards brown-nosing and punishes honest dissent. Most of us have seen organizations like this, where Yes Men and Women are exalted and passionate people asking tough questions are silenced. Life is too short to work in a place like that. The world is too big, there are too many meaty problems to solve, and too many brilliant people for you to collaborate with in trust-based, forward-looking organizations for you to waste another femtosecond among Godzilla’s handlers.”
- How Toronto got the CN Tower Now you know!
- Will Ferrell Launches Female-Focused Film and TV Production Company Um – YES!
- Little boy tells his mom he doesn’t want a birthday party because he has no friends to invite This sounds sad, but it will actually remind you of all the good in the world.
- Creationist Questions Translated. Hahahahhahahah.
- Finally, continuing on the creationist point, this is awesome: