Whoa everyone! TGIF is back. I know, it’s been absent most of the summer, and for that I can only say my summer has been – as usual, busier than any other time of the year. I took on a new gig writing for Notable five days a week, on top of my regular contributions to Dose and a new job helping with social media for a record label.
Not to mention vacations, festivals, family coming to town. I’m actually looking forward to the routine that fall will bring back into my life, if not the cold weather.
With that said, here’s a big whack of links that have built up over the past few weeks. Enjoy!
- Deep-Fried Tequila Is Actually A Thing, And It Will Get You White Girl Wasted Who’s trying this with me?
- What Makes People Look Like Their Pets? It makes complete sense that it’s in the eyes. They learn from our facial expressions, so it’s no surprise that their eyes would express what ours express. When you’re sad, your dog is sad. When you’re happy, your dog is happy. They mimic you, because they are walking furry balls of empathy and connection.
- 30 Years of Music Industry Change In One GIF This is interesting.
- The Rapper Killer Mike Instagrammed A Moving Letter About Michael Brown The things happening in Ferguson are terrible for so many reasons – what everyone needs to remember is what he talks about in this letter.
- Scientists Claim That Quantum Theory Proves Consciousness Moves to Another Universe at Death This is my favourite link of the summer. I’m non religious after the trauma of Catholic school, but I’ve always believed in the soul, and the idea that there’s something more to life. This science explains my ideas around the subject fairly well. I’m not so sure about the moving to other universes part – but I do believe our souls exist before and after our body, and our bodies serve as receptors to it in the same way that our TV is a receptor to our cable signal. It explains a lot about the idea of ghosts, mediums, near death experiences and past life regression. None of it has anything to do with organized religion.
- Dr. Dre’s letter to his girlfriend is the best thing you’ll read all day This is great. No wonder she married him.
- Photographer Takes A Self-Portrait On Her Birthday In Her Underwear For 40 Years It’s a powerful and beautiful thing to watch the body age through four decades.
- Alzheimer artist’s self portrait over 8 years’ time from onset until he forgot to send portrait to care facility management This is sad, but it also gives a world of insight into a terrifying disease. I’m not sure I’ve ever witnessed a project that so profoundly displayed the idea of being trapped inside yourself so well.
- Five Lessons The Faltering Music Industry Could Learn From TV If you ask me, TV has learned all the lessons the entire entertainment industry needs to learn first, and that’s why it is having such a period of glory despite the internet. The music industry should definitely take note.
- Intelligent People All Have One Thing In Common: They Stay Up Later Than You Damn right we do. Mornings are just the worst.
- 7 Theories On Why We Evolved to Love Music Interesting.
- Photographer Shows Proof of Shocking Similarities In Human Templates Between Complete Strangers You know when someone tells you they saw your doppelganger, this explains that phenomenon fairly well.
- 40 Genius Travel Tips That Will Change Your Life Forever Lots of great tips here, bookmark it.
- Why Can’t You Ever Shut Up During A Concert? Seriously! Please, if you come to a concert, STFU. People who scream sing at the top of their lungs so loud you can’t hear the actual singer, STFU! People who come to a show to stand around having a chat, GTFO! Why are you even here? Did you really just pay money to ruin the show for everyone else??
- The Representation Test: Grading the Top Films of 2014 (So Far) This is fascinating. Support films that write female characters as real people, please.
- 18 Signs You Are Addicted To Collecting Vinyl Welp. That’s me. And probably most of you, too.
- How One Generation Was Single-Handedly Able To Kill The Music Industry
- Pressing Issues: Record Quality in Today’s Market Some good advice to keep in mind when buying vinyl.
- The seven digital deadly sins This interactive collaboration between the NFB and The Guardian is a must watch. Digital is an amazing thing, but all of the good doesn’t outweigh the bad.
- Finally, watch this amazing Emmy promo bringing back together my two favourites from the best show of all time, Breaking Bad. We needed to see Jesse and Walt together one more time.