Hey guys! Happy September! It’s crazy how fast the city changes from calm and warm to crazy and cold as soon as September hits. It’s overwhelming. The past couple weeks have been busy.
Super cool thing – I did my first ever guest lecture, on social media/blogging, for the music/film/management students at Trebas. That was awesome. I’ll post more about that in the coming week.
I also got a new job I am SUPER excited to tell you guys about. Let’s just say I’m gonna be working for the people I’ve wanted to work for since graduating college. It’s one of those “if you believe you can have it, one day, you will” moments.
Did you guys have an amazing long weekend? This week actually marks my 10th anniversary of living in Toronto. 10 years ago I was just like all those other Frosh kids wandering the streets this week. Time flies.
Are you checking out any TIFF films? There are tons of great music ones to check out (I may post a list if I get the chance). I’m also pumped for Spike Jonze’s Masters chat. You can buy tickets directly through that image in my sidebar! And if you want to do a fun TIFF related party tonight, you should head to Adelaide Music Hall for YLMC’s Clockwork Orange theme party. Great bands playing, and they always throw a good show. This was Kubrick’s best film, after all. I dressed as Alex for Halloween regularly as a young teen – my neighbors thought it was inappropriate.
With all that said, here are the links:
- Whole Foods Has a Record Store umm… I guess everyone’s doing it.
- City lets Ryerson out of contract on famed Sam the Record sign Damn. They need to put it in a music museum at this point. Don’t let it get trashed.
- Miley Cyrus Sees Digital Sales Benefits from VMA Performance That whole thing was horrific, but then again, management probably told her to do it, because it sure does pay to whore yourself on stage, apparently.
- Chatting With the Founder of the Polaris Prize
- Brand New 4 Track Pixies EP What do you think?!
- The First Replacements’ Show in 22 Years As reviewed by a semi-famous Replacements fan.
- David Bowie has ‘no plans for live dates’ following reports of lucrative London gig offer NOO. Please Bowie, you’re one of the few still left on my live music bucket list. C’mon.
- The Sound of Going to Pieces The Clash members reminisce on the making of the legendary London Calling.
- The 50 Best Elliot Smith Songs Who can choose? He didn’t write a bad song…
- Music Man Murray Dies at Age 91
- How to Help Bring Your Favourite Band to TO Good advice for aspiring promoter types.
- New Fees For Non-Canadian Acts Threaten Local Venues THIS IS AWFUL!!!
- Why New Fees For Foreign Acts are a Mistake More reasons why it’s awful. It will destroy our live music scene.
- The Canadian Government Wants to Rob Touring Bands of Their Cash Yep.
- Sign The Petition to Oppose the above Point DO IT!
- Statement from CIMA On Changes to LMO Process for Temporary Foreign Workers They claim it will help Canadian musicians, but even CIMA doesn’t see it that way.
- Mumford Concert Injects $10M Into Local Economy Thanks, Mumford.
- 10 Reason’s It’s OK to Use your Mobile at a Gig Yep, so stop complaining when you see phones. It’s part of the experience, sorry.
- The Losing Battle Over Lyrical Copyright Interesting. I live for lyrics so I rely on these sites.
- Why is Television Losing Women Writers? Good question.
- Office Hours with Sheryl Sandberg Love her. Love this. Lean in, ladies.
- I Have a Character Issue As Breaking Bad ends (OMG what will I do without it!!!), it’s interesting to hear her talk about the weird hate her character has received.
- Anna Gunn and Skyler White: Just the Tip of a Very Big Iceberg This. Exactly. It’s a lack of female writers… you can’t write what you don’t know, and men don’t know what it’s like to be a woman.
- 50 Bars With Extended 4 AM Last Calls for TIFF 2013 Hell yeah.
- How to Find Free (and cheap) Parking Spots in Toronto Helpful stuff. Parking is so fucking expensive here. It’s the main reason I can’t imagine ever owning a car here.
- What Your Regrettable Music Scene Tattoo says about you Heh.
- Being a Music Fan in Your 20s Vs Your 30s Man. This is the future?
- Finally, a little more BB content to celebrate the end of my all time favourite show, the best show television ever gave us: